If you’re planning a visit to Montreal with your kids, you are most likely looking for some activities that they will enjoy while also seeing the best places that Montreal has to offer. This is my list of the Best Activities to do with a family in Montreal.
As a Montreal-based family photographer, I am often hired by visitors to photograph their families in this beautiful city. I offer candid children’s portraits, family photos and I always leave a little time at the end for some romantic photos of the parents on their own. Montreal is after all a very romantic city to visit. In addition to family photography, I also photograph surprise proposals as well as destination weddings in Montreal.
6 Fun Montreal tourist activities for families:
- Explore the Historic Old Port of Montreal. The cobblestone streets, little cafés and unique architecture make this a fantastic part of the city to explore. I’ve lived in Montreal my whole life and I still discover little quiet streets as well as great shops and restaurants.
- Another favorite place of mine is the Botanical Gardens of Montreal. Children of all ages will find something beautiful here. It’s an enormous space where they can run and explore without worrying about cars or other noises of the city. The Botanical Gardens of Montreal has many beautiful gardens to discover and 10 interconnecting greenhouses. This makes the Botanical Gardens a great option for a rainy day or a winter visit. It’s an all year-round great family activity in Montreal.
- Mount Royal Park is also quite unique and a great place to discover when visiting Montreal. You can park up near the summit and take a leisurely stroll to the panoramic lookout or even hike up from downtown using the many safe and well-maintained stair cases. It’s great exercise for the whole family and ideal for kids who need to move.
- If you have a child between the ages of 1 and 5 – the Montreal Biodome is the place for you. A winding path leads you through various ecosystems of North America. If you time it right, you can even feed the otters around 11am. Visit the monkeys, birds, beavers and fish. Penguins are the grand finale! My two year old daughter LOVES the Biodome. This place is very stroller-friendly.
- Montreal is also a foodie city. Visit one of the two active open air markets in Montreal. Jean-Talon Market or Atwater Market. Both markets also have indoor stalls so they are open year-round. Lots of parking nearby and also stroller-friendly.
- Visit a real Montreal neighborhood with a walk down Avenue Mount-Royal in the Pleatau area of Montreal. Best place to start is Mt-Royal Metro station and walk east towards Papineau St. Lots of shops, restaurants, cafés and small parks nearby. A beautiful place to stroll in the early spring and late summer if the parks are still to mucky.Enjoy your visit to Montreal. And please feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you would like to schedule a family photography session in any of these uniquely Montreal locations. It’s a great memory to take home with you and a fun activity for the kids. I specialize in children’s photography, so sessions last about an hour and you get a mix of colour and artistic Black & White photography. You will also get the benefit of discovering new places that you might not have found in your guide book. I could easily design a photo shoot that winds up at of my favourite local patisseries for a warm chocolatine and a true Montreal ‘café-au-lait’.The photos shown in this blog are from a family photo session this past August In Old Montreal.