Looking for a fun Engagement Photo Locations in Montreal? You should consider the urban industrial areas of Griffintown, Montreal.
Griffintown is a newly revitalized neighbourhood close to downtown Montreal. It is full of historical buildings and interesting architecture. Griffintown is a great blend of the rustic, urban and picturesque. A perfect backdrop for a casual photo session.
I discovered this unique engagement photo location on a recent e-session (aka ‘engagement session’). This couple wanted to do their pre-wedding photos in Griffintown and suggested the canal below Wellington Street as a good starting point.
I instantly fell in love with the area. It was quiet and had lots of great spots for beautiful engagement photography. The train bridge and buildings in the background added a beautiful texture to the images and made for a very original set of engagement photos.
Other Engagement Photo Locations in Montreal
- Montreal Old Port (a classic. Great light, great architecture, any season)
- Mount Royal Park (lots of foliage, nice staircases and natural background)
- Park Lafontaine (big park with beautiful tree lines paths)
- St-Henri (like Griffintown has a nice mix of industrial and urban landscape)
- Summit woods and Westmount Lookout (stunning views of the city, quiet and a nice tree filled park for some more woodsy shots. This would be a great place if you have a dog or dogs that you want to include in the engagement photo session)
- Any of the Outremont Parks. Pratt Park and Joyce Park are my favourites for engagement photos and wedding pictures.
Recommended Engagement Photo Locations … by Season
Spring Engagement Sessions, where to get the best photos
Spring arrives late in Montreal, so if you want flowering trees and bright green leaves you are best to wait until the end of May and first weeks of June.
1) Notre Dame Street close to Atwater has many shops, interesting café life. This would be a great location for an urban engagement photo session.
2) The Montreal Botanical Garden has lilac groves and flowering trees in their vast outdoor gardens. This would be a perfect location for your Spring Photo Session.
Engagement photo locations for Summer
Summers in Montreal are wonderful. The tree lined streets give beautiful open shade for photos. The outdoor café life is in full swing and there are many increadible and unique locations for Engagment Photography. Here is a short list of my recommended locations
1) Old Montreal – start on rue de la commune and walk up place Jacques Cartier. Finish the session with a glass of wine in one of the many open air restaurants and bars in the area. I recommend the rooftop of the Hotel Nelligan.
2) Rue Bernard in Outremont. This is my neighbourhood so I know it well. The street has a classic “Montreal feel” and you can easily walk to one of the beautiful parks close by. I love the Park Outremont because of the fountain in the middle and the nice walking paths all around. But I also love Joyce Park and Pratt park. They are all gorgeous locations for engagement photography.
3) Parc Nature de l’Ile-de-la-Visitation is at the top of the Island. It’s a mix of beautiful walking paths, the St-Laurence river and a little stone building that used to be an old Grain Mill. There is also a charming little stone building with a restaurant and beautiful outdoor terrasse for a romantic lunch.
4) Camillien-Houde Belvédère Lookout. Get panoramic views of the city and some great photography in a natural setting. Take the little quiet paths through Mount Royal park to wind up at this lookout with stunning views of the whole city. This is also a favourite place in Montreal for Wedding Proposals because of it’s awe inspiring views of the city.
Best Engagement Photo Locations for the Fall
Montreal has beautiful fall colours, so this is a great time to schedule a Casual Session, an Engagement Session or even a Family Photo Session.
Fall colours are at their best the last week of October and the first week of November. But even a week or so before or after these dates, you will still find beautiful foliage and that warm glowing autumn light that I love.
I recommend a morning or later afternoon time for your engagement photography session. Embrace the colours of late fall with by choosing clothes that fit the season. Consult this pinterest board to help you figure out what to wear for your fall photo session.
1) Jean-Talon Market is at it’s best in the fall. All the local farmers are bringing in the colourful fruits and vegetables of the later summer season. This market is alive with activity and it’s a really great place for engagement photos. If you’re a couple who likes a more urban and “real” background for your photos, this would be a fantastic choice.
2)Parc-nature de l’Anse-à-l’Orme, 20099 Boul Gouin O, Pierrefonds, QC H9K 1C1. A pretty nature park that is a short walk to a little private rocky beach. Picture perfect!
3) Mout Royal Park is an obvious choice. Dress casually in layers with a bright colourful scarf and you will love this natural setting for your engagent photos.
Winter Engagement Photo Locations… Indoor and Outdoor
Winter is still a beautiful time for engagement photography. The soft white snow falling on the quiet streets of the city is a beautiful backdrop.
1) My first choice would be Old Montreal. It really is beautiful any time of the year, even in winter!
- Stroll down St-Paul near St-Laurent
- Le Royer Street – a nice walking street close to the Notre Dame Basilica
- Across the square from the Notre Dame Basilica is the Banque de Montreal with beautiful stone columns and a great location for wedding photos or engagement photos.
- Place Ville Marie is a great location right downtown. I’ve photographed surprise proposals here and also some fun casual sessions. Dusk is a beautiful time for photos at the base of Place Ville Marie. Your backdrop is the city lights of Downtown Montreal and Mount Royal in the distance.
Indoor Winter Engagement Photo Locations, if you are not keen on the cold ;
1) Montreal’s Botanical gardens – this would be the best indoor choice.
Get lost in the tropical warmth of the Botanical Gardens’ many greenhouse. The floral scents and lush greenery exotic plants is a perfect winter escape. The greenhouses are all attached and it’s a lovely walk through for creating beautiful engagement photos.
Engagement Photography Q&A with Kate Fellerath, the Montreal Photographer.
Q. How long does an engagement session last?
A. My engagement sessions usually last between 40-60 minutes, so we get a chance to photograph in many different settings. It give me and the couple a chance to get to know each other, have fun and capture some great moments.
Q. What is the cost of an Engagement session:
A. Engagement sessions for 2018 are $ 395.00 for a one hour session in my Westmount Studio or on location anywhere in Montreal.
Q. What is included in your Engagement Session fee?
A. In addition to the session, you will receive approximately 80 high resolution images all selected and retouched by Kate Fellerath.
Q. What if we want to hire you for our wedding too?
A. All my wedding package come with a gift of a photo credit for a variety of “a la carte” item. ‘Engagement sessions’ are on that list, so you can use your credit to cover the session. In other words, it’s a gift! See more of my wedding photography HERE and on my Instagram Account.
Q. How can we book a e-session or a casual photo session?
A. Simply send an email to email@example.com or through my contact form. Let me know your availability and we will set a date. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, I am happy to re-schedule for a better day. But I must tell you that a little rain can actually add to the richness and beauty of engagement and wedding photos, so do not be discourage by rain.
Q. What should we wear for our engagement session?
A. I like to recommend a business casual look. It’s clean, sharp and classic. But find your own inspiration on Pinterest. You will see lots of ideas and something will click with your own personal style. The most important is that the photos reflect you. The photos should be true to who you are as a couple. It’s a chance to document your real love story and to create wonderful memories.
About the Author
Kate is a Montreal-based wedding photographer with 10 years of experience. She has photographed hundreds of weddings and enjoys sharing her insight with clients and blog followers. Her use of natural light and technical ease allows her to create memorable, unique and beautiful wedding photos for all her clients.